happy birthday mama!
On this day, 53 years
ago, the world changed when my mama was born. How ridiculous that may sound to
you, but I promise that if you knew her, you would understand.
Out of all types of
love that exist in this world, it is hard for me to think of one greater than
the love of a mother for her child. It makes no difference if that child is
adopted, a different color, disabled, or an accident; the love that a mother
has for her child is impenetrable. As I have gotten older, this love has become
even more evident to me. While I am only 22, I can say that my life became more
interesting in my twenties. At this age, I have become self-sufficient which
has given me the opportunity to see my parents not as providers, but as
individuals. And they are very much individuals.
My dad is extremely
social and involved with—well, everything. He receives a lot of attention that
he deserves, and he is humble. He does many good things and always looks out
for other people and never accredits his local fame to himself, but instead to
God. That being said, I have always felt that my mama has been overshadowed. I
do not mean this in a bad way towards my dad in any way. I am very proud of him
and I am blessed to have such a strong presence not only in my home, but in my
community. With my dad being an extrovert and my mom being an introvert I feel
that sometimes, my mama gets overlooked. When I was living at home, it was not uncommon
that I was asked by other people what my mom was like, or that people would tell me that they
had never met her before, and in hearing this, all I could think about
was how much they were missing.
With every year of my
life, I love my mama even more. Every year, I see more and more of all the
selfless decisions that she has made in her life to provide for me, even before I was a thought, and
she deserves ceaseless celebration. My mama is a beacon of both strength and
comfort and is the epitome of sacrifice. She is always asking other people
about what more she can do for them and never asks that they do anything for
her. As an insider, I tell you that it is no show that she puts on; this level of generosity is
simply who she is.
Often times when
mothers or any female figures are referenced, they are referenced by their
grace and poise but, in the nicest way possible, those are not qualities that I
think of when I think about my mama. If you are reading this, mama, you know
that that is not what you think of when you think of me either, and I thank you
for that.
My mama is fiery,
funny, and spunky, but not in a way that serves an attitude. She is funny just
by being. Her mannerisms are kooky and cute at the same time and she is truly a joy of my life. My mama is someone that I always have fun with and who makes
me feel like I can just rest. She makes me laugh and smile but she is also the
first one to wipe my tears. She is a true woman because she is who she is.
Being a woman is hard.
There are unfortunate things that women have to face daily, that are even
unrecognized by women themselves because they are so normalized. In a male-dominated world,
I have felt pressure to hold in my emotions so that I seem stronger. As silly
as it sounds, I have felt guilty or weak for crying about things that moved me
because I felt that it damaged my credibility as a leader.
There are times that
I have been treated poorly, have been ignored, and have been taken advantage of
because I am a woman and talking to a man about these struggles, is just not
the same. My mama is always the one that reminds me that all of the
inadequacies that I feel that I have are not inadequacies. She reminds me that
it is not me, but society that is inadequate in seeing me for the individual
and the woman that I am, and that it is society who is at fault for not
listening to my ideas. When these things that create the weight of the female
reality add up, I can tell them to my mama and I know she will understand.
Being able to share with my mama, about whatever troubles we face, or have
faced, has developed my identity immensely, and I greatly cherish our
relationship.
I aspire to be like my
mama in her womanhood, her generosity and most importantly her personality. She
is a true joy and her crazy silliness can make even a dead man smile. I praise the
Lord for blessing me with such a protector and a confidant, and I pray that
she’s got 53 more years in her.
Cheers to you on your
special day, and may no one ever forget to remind you how awesome you are.
Happy Birthday, Mama! ❤
Comments
Post a Comment